Tuesday 5 February 2013

Picture Book - Love Monster - Rachel Bright (Author & Illustrator)



Picture Book - Love Monster - Rachel Bright (Author & Illustrator)


Recommended for: Babies/Toddlers/Younger Readers




I couldn't resist this. The cover just screams out for the book to be read. That's a glorious picture to have as a front cover. Even if the title does sound like a Heavy Metal album from the 1980s.

Let's face it, this monster is adorably cute. In fact, by the end of the story, my heart was almost breaking for him (I'm a big softie and I cry at anything) as he tried to find love. Being a monster, it's a little hard to come by, although rest assured that everything turns out fine in the end. What I really enjoyed is the style it's written in - it's very engaging to it's audience, it's humorous, and the font used to print the text on the page matches the feeling that we're reading about a monster. It's got a good old fashioned moral message at the end (I approve of these heartily), and it shows that everyone will find love just around the corner one day.

I've mentioned how cute the monster is already, and the rest of the illustrations have a really fun feeling to them (not the world's greatest description, I know, but they're just...fun). It's a book that's going to raise smiles all the way through, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment